Saturday, April 30, 2011

All the Buzz....

So, my husband is a....well, we'll call him an interesting man!  :)  He loves to learn and he loves to farm, so throughout our marriage, we've had about every kind of animal imaginable.  Since we moved to Ohio and have a much smaller piece of property, having too many animals is no longer an option.  Or so I thought.

So meet our latest project.  These came home yesterday, and I will openly admit, I was terrified.


Arnie brought home two boxes like this, and each box contains...wait for it....10,000 bees!!!!  Holy crap!!!!  That's enough for two hives.  Each hive has to have a queen.  So here's your lucky day...you get to meet the queen....

So, the bees need to go from the box into the hive.  That sounded terrifying to me, but I was told that no, the bees would be calm and only want to stay by their queen.  Partially correct, but I was not prepared for how many were flying everywhere, how many were all over my husband, or how many would sting him.  (Four...but that's a fluke, according to him!)  So here he is dumping the bees into their hive.  Yes, the mound on top is a mound of bees (yuck) and no, I was NOT that close to him, I had to crop the picture!



I have to admit though, while they do scare me a little, bees are extremely interesting, so I am looking forward to seeing how all of this works out!  With the best of luck, we'll have some great honey by the end of the year!  :)

Oh, one more pic...my poor dog was soooo confused by the bees.  He kept snapping at them, and chasing them, so we finally had to banish poor Farley to the house!  :)  He looks so innocent here though...

Have a great weekend!!!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Look at the book, Scouting the Divine, by Margaret Feinberg. There is a chapter or two concerning bees. Also, if you're interested, there is an accompanying Bible Study with it -- and an entire chapter study on bees -- it is TOTALLY interesting!